Although not a Mallorcan dish, this easy dinner is inspired by Mediterranean flavours with the choice of vegetables and inclusion of garlic and olive oil. I cook a big batch to serve four and then the three following days I can look forward to minimal dinner-prep. The copious amount of veg is a great plus and I can assure you it tastes great too!
Ingredients to serve four:
- wholewheat pasta tubes, enough to serve four
- 1 red pepper
- 1 courgette
- 1/2 aubergine
- 1 red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- black pepper
- chopped tinned tomatoes
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- cheese, of choice
- Preheat the oven to 250C and chop up all veg into fairly large chunks. If the pieces are too small they will disappear into nothing when they are roasted. Sprinkle over the cloves of garlic, finely chopped, then drizzle over some olive oil. Mix it all together then roast for 20 minutes.
- When the time is up, give the veg a stir, but keep it roasting. Now you can start to prepare the pasta and tomato sauce. Empty the tin of tomatoes into one saucepan, along with 1.5 tablespoons of both dried basil and dried oregano, and a good grind of black pepper. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Prepare your pasta according to packet instructions.
- Once pasta and sauce is ready, remove the veg from the oven, mix everything together, then transfer to an oven-proof dish. Sprinkle cheese over the top, add some more black pepper, then place under the grill until golden on top. Enjoy!
Preparation and cooking time: 35-40 minutes