Ok so before I truly embarked upon my Spanish/ Mallorcan cooking adventure I really wanted to cook a comforting dish that would remind me of home: curry! I love eating curry in restaurants but have never been brave enough to cook it myself (unless you count mixing Patak’s sauce with cooked chicken…)
Armed with a curry spice mix, I felt ready to take on the challenge. I can honestly say it was really easy, and I am so happy with the result.
Ingredients: (serves roughly 4)
- 2 red onions, diced
- large red pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- dried curry spice mix (check the ingredients to make sure it only has natural ingredients, you don’t want any E numbers!)
- black pepper
- dried paprika
- dried cayenne pepper
- frozen spinach, a handful or so
- Heat a little sunflower oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat then brown the diced onions. Add the peppers and fry for a few minutes.
- Next add the chicken and the garlic. Fry until the chicken has started to brown.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, 3 tsp of curry spice, plenty of black pepper and 1 tsp of dried paprika and dried cayenne pepper.
- Allow to simmer for around 20-30 minutes, until the sauce is quite thick.
- When it is almost done, add the frozen spinach. At this stage you can try the curry and add more spice to suit your own taste.
- Serve with rice.
Cooking and preparation time: roughly 30-40 minutes
What’s your favourite curry?