I don’t know about you but recently I’ve been super busy with essays, exams and preparation for my year abroad. I love cooking and find it a great way to destress but sometimes there just aren’t enough hours in a day to cook an elaborate meal and write a 2000 word essay (and doing them at the same time could get a little messy!). So I’ve had some fun coming up with some really tasty and quick meals, and this cheesy pasta with (slightly) spicy chicken really hits the spot after a long day of working/revising/doing absolutely anything at all 🙂
Ingredients to serve four:
- one onion (£0.15, Tesco)
- one red pepper and one yellow pepper (£0.99, Tesco, pack of 3)
- two boneless skinless chicken breasts (£5.50, Tesco, pack of 5)
- two tins of finely chopped tomatoes (£0.70, Tesco)
- 300g spirali pasta (£0.59, Tesco, 500g)
- mature cheddar (£2.50, Tesco, 450g)
- piri piri seasoning (£0.90, Tesco)
- dried paprika (£0.85, Tesco)
- dried oregano (£0.70, Tesco)
- Boil 300g spirali pasta for 12 minutes or according to instructions. Dice the two peppers ready for adding to the same saucepan when the pasta has about 4 minutes to go.
- Slice the chicken into small, thin strips and then sprinkle over 2 teaspoons each of piri piri seasoning and dried paprika. Fry the chicken with a little oil in a saucepan until it is browned on both sides, then remove from the pan and dab off on kitchen towel.
- Strain the pasta and peppers mix, then return to the saucepan (make sure it is a fairly large one), and add the two tins of tomatoes, two tablespoons of dried oregano and some freshly ground pepper. Stir and simmer gently for a few minutes until the sauce is heated through.
- Remove from the heat and add the cooked chicken, along with a handful of grated cheese. Spoon into a heatproof dish, cover with grated cheese, sprinkle over a little paprika and piri piri seasoning, then place under the grill until golden and bubbling.
Preparation and cooking time: 15/20 minutes
Cost per portion: £1.30
Really quick, really tasty and pretty cheap too! Although probably not the healthiest meal in the world, it’s definitely worth it for a bit of cheesy indulgence once in a while 🙂